1. Place a small pot over high heat.
2. Add butter and brown sugar. If you don’t have any butter around the house margarine is a good substitution ( but I prefer butter).
3. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, then stir in well.
4. Add the vanilla and syrup and continue stirring. Cook the candied sauce until the butter melts and candied sauce begins to bubble, then sit aside in refrigerator.
5. Place a big pot of water over high heat.
6. Once the water comes to a boil, add the potatoes. Boil the potatoes for 35 minutes, then sit them aside to chill.
7. Once potatoes chill, peal off the skin.
8. Slice potatoes into circular shapes or shapes of your choice.
9. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
10. Add potatoes to a baking dish.
11. Add the candied sauce.
12. Sprinkle potatoes with an additional 2 tbs of brown sugar.
13. Place in the oven and cook for 1 hour. It may take a little longer for them to become fully tender depending on your stove but 1 hour always worked well for me.
14. Base candied yams once or twice during cooking. If you find some potatoes are kind of hard in the center, press those potatoes down into the candied sauce to help them cook all the way through, and bring the potatoes at the bottom to the top. Enjoy!
Check Out My Video Tutorial