Cream Of Wheat Hot Cereal
Cream of wheat is a breakfast classic!!!! A delicious hot cereal that has become very popular in America over the last century. I think the last 4 generations of Americans grew up eating cream of wheat for breakfast. It don’t matter if ya white black asian or hispanic… this is the one cereal, including oatmeal that all Americans were served as children. Im sure most Americans have childhood memories of their mother’s preparing cream of wheat for breakfast early winter mornings before school. And how can we forget the smiling black guy wearing the Toque while holding a hot bowl of cream of wheat on the front of the Red cream of wheat box? Man ole man memories memories memories. Let’s get off of memory lane before I get all emotional on yall. Cream of wheat is often mistaken for grits and while they look the same they aren’t. Cream of wheat is made from ground wheat, grits are made from corn that’s been grounded into tiny bits. People season them differently and they have a different taste as well. My family use to season their grits with butter salt and pepper….. we might even throw some shredded cheddar cheese on up in there to make cheese grits which are very popular down South. But with cream of wheat, most people like it sweet…. and five it flavor by adding butter, evaporated milk (which gives it a rich creamy flavor), and sugar. There are so many things you can add to dress up your cream of wheat… I even know some folks who would eat it with finely chopped strawberries…. or add a pinch of cinnamon to it but today im going to show you my recipe for cream of wheat. It is so rich, buttery, and sweet mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm….. I don’t eat it as often anymore but when I do, I still cook it just the way my late grandmother and my mama use to make it for me. I still like it on the thick side, with lots of sugar butter and milk. The perfect way to start your morning off and warmth your soul before walking out into the cold. Some folks would say that cream of wheat is easy to make but do you remember your mama ever messing it up and serving you a bowl of lumpy cream of wheat? Yea well many people make that mistake and that’s one of people biggest complaints with cream of wheat… is that it can come out lumpy at times. My mother was young so before she mastered cooking these errors occured which was to be expected hahahaha. So below I’ll share with you some tips on how to make the smoothest most perfect cream of wheat. I know you’ll really enjoy this recipe. Check it out and follow it to a T.
1. So the first step is to get our water nice and hot. So place a small pot of cool water over medium-high heat.
2. Once water comes to a boil, pour the cream of wheat into the center of the pot while stirring vigorously. Make sure you pour it into the center and stir the center of the pot!
- The vigorous stirring is what prevents the formation of lumps. DO NOT STIR IT SUPER FAST or else you’ll make the cream of wheat pop and you’ll burn yourself…
3. Now you are going to stir the cream of wheat until it thickens and begins to bubble, this should take about 30 to 40 seconds.
4. Once it begins to bubble, reduce the heat from medium-high heat to low heat. Continue stirring for another minute, but stir slowly then cut the fire off. It only takes about a total of 2 to 2-1/2 minutes.
5. Your cream of wheat should be on the thick side if not very thick at this point. This is when you’re going to add your sugar, milk, and butter. If you don’t want to add as much sugar and butter, fine… add less. But the amounts I listed are totally neccesary. Hot cereal like cream of wheat and oatmeal and hard to flavorize if that’s even a word hahahaha. But if you want to add less butter and sugar for health reasons fine.
6. Stir in all the ingredients for about 1 minute or until all the ingredients are well blended, then serve. You SHOULD NOT SEE ANY LUMPS….. But if you do, continue to stir and press and they will go away. I hope you enjoy!!!
Check Out My Video Tutorial