Cream Of Wheat Hot Cereal
Cream of wheat is a breakfast classic!!!! A delicious hot cereal that has become very popular in America over the last century. I think the last 4 generations of Americans grew up eating cream of wheat for breakfast. It don’t matter if ya white black asian or hispanic… this is the one cereal, including oatmeal that all Americans were served as children. Im sure most Americans have childhood memories of their mother’s preparing cream of wheat for breakfast early winter mornings before school. And how can we forget the happy smiley black guy wearing the Toque while holding a hot bowl of cream of wheat on the front of the Red cream of wheat box? Man ole man memories memories memories. Let’s get off of memory lane before I get all emotional on yall. Cream of wheat is often mistaken for grits and while they look the same they aren’t. Cream of wheat is made from ground wheat, grits are made from corn that’s been grounded into tiny bits. People season them differently and they have a different taste as well. My family use to season our grits with butter salt and pepper….. we might even throw some shredded cheddar cheese on up in there to make cheese grits which are very popular down South. But with cream of wheat, most people like it sweat…. and would season it with butter, evaporated milk (which gives it a rich creamy flavor), and sugar. There are so many things you can add to dress up your cream of wheat… I even know some folks who would eat it with finely chopped strawberries…. but today im going to show you my recipe for cream of wheat. It is so rich, buttery, and sweet mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm….. I don’t eat it often anymore but I still eat it just the way my late grandmother and my mama use to make it for me…. I still like it on the thick side, with a lot of sugar butter and milk. The perfect way to start your morning off and warmth your soul before walking out into the cold. Some folks would say that cream of wheat is easy to make but do you remember your mama ever messing it and serving you a bowl of lumpy cream of wheat? Yea well many people make that mistake and that’s one of people biggest complaints with cream of wheat… is that it can come out lumpy at times. My mother was young so before she mastered cooking certain things these errors were to be expected hahahaha. So below I’ll share with you some tips on how to make the smoothest perfect cream of wheat. I know you’ll really enjoy this recipe.
1. So the first step is to get our water nice and hot. So place a pot of cool water over medium-high heat.
2. Once water comes to a boil, pour the cream of wheat into the center of the pot while stirring vigorously. Make sure you stir it into the center of the pot….
*The vigorous stirring is what prevents the formation of lumps* DO NOT STIR SUPER FAST or else you’ll burn yourself… But make sure you stir it kind of fast to stop the forming of lumps.
3. Now you are going to stir the cream of wheat until the cream of wheat thickens and begins to bubble, this should take about 30 to 40 seconds.
4. Once it begins to bubble, reduce the heat to low heat and continue stirring for another minute, then cut the fire off. It only takes about a total of 2 minutes.
5. Your cream of wheat should be on the thick side if not very thick…. if you prefer it looser you can always add extra milk. Just make sure you stir virgorously while adding the milk to prevent lumps. So this is when you’re going to add your sugar, milk, and butter.
6. Stir in all the ingredients for about 1 minute or until all the ingredients are well blended, then serve. I hope you enjoy!!!
Check Out My Video Tutorial