1. Rinse hens with salt and water. Remove package of giblets from cavity and any excess fat.
2. Chop your vegetables into small size pieces.
3. Combine butter and oil, then melt in microwave. Afterwards, add vinegar, then stir in well.
4. Combine broth and cornstarch, then stir in well. This is what’s going to create a nice gravy for our hens. This step is optional though… you don’t have to add the slurry for gravy. If you decide not to make a gravy with this dish, just add a 1/3 cup of broth to the baking dish.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
6. Add chopped vegetables, giblets, and bouillon cubes to baking dish.
7. Add cornish hens to the bed of vegetables.
8. Rub the melted butter mixture and seasonings onto each side of the hens. You can use margarine by the way if that’s all you have but butter is recommended.
9. Pour the slurry into the baking dish.
10. Place in oven and bake until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Stick thermometer into thickest part of the hens to test doneness. Make sure the thermometer doesn’t touch the bone in the hens to get an accurate reading. I always let my hens cook for 2 hours though.
11. Base the hens 1 to 2 times during cooking time. Basing the hens just helps to brown the skin and give it that nice golden brown color. Enjoy!
Check Out My Video Tutorial