Amazingly Delicious Fried Salmon Cakes aka Patties
I love salmon patties…. they are so versatile and are eaten for breakfast lunch and dinner. My family always made them for breakfast or brunch and I think that’s when most people commonly eat them. Salmon patties aka cakes, some people call them croquettes…. are so tasty yet easy to make. People call this poor man’s food especially because you will find that most people make them using the salmon from out the can and we all know canned meat is seen as poor man’s food because it’s affordable and very cheap. But who cares right? They’re good and that’s all that matters. These are best served with rice if you’re serving them as a main course for dinner or with scrambled eggs and grits if you’re making them for breakfast… mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm… Im getting hungry just talking about them. You can use fresh salmon meat as a more healthy alternative. A friend of mine buys fillet salmon and shred the meat in a food processor and use it in replace of the salmon in the can. You can add whatever seasonings, condiments, and vegetables you want to your salmon mixture… that’s what makes salmon patties special.. there’s no limit to how many ways to season them. You can add so many different condiments or seasonings to it. But im going to be showing you the condiments and ingredients I like to use best when making salmon patties so check the recipe below.
1. Ok so first things first, chop your onions and peppers into small pieces.
2. Place a skillet over high heat.
3. Add your oil, onions, and peppers. Saute the vegetables for 2 minutes, then sit aside. The reason we sautee them is because something they don’t cook thoroughly after we blend them into the fish mixture and fry them in the salmon patties. So to ensure they are sauteed and fried, we fry them separately first.
4. Open the cans of pink salmon. Preserve some of the salmon juice and drain the rest. We’re going to be adding some of that fish juice to the mixture in a few to enhance the overall salmon flavor of the patties.
5. Remove that unappealing black skin and the bones from salmon. My family never removed the bones and you dont need too either because the bones are extremely soft but I just dont like the ideas of bones soft or not, in my salmon patties so i just remove them. Especially since sometimes they can be on the tougher side.
6. Afterwards, chop the salmon into small fine pieces.
7. Microwave your margarine or butter for 30 seconds or until melted. We need the butter to be melted before adding it to the mixture we obviously cant add it solid!!!
8. Next, add your eggs, lemon juice, salmon juice, and melted margarine or butter to a bowl.
9. Add the seasoning salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, parsley, and breadcrumbs, then stir in well.
10. Add the salmon, onions, and peppers, then stir in well again.
11. With your hands and a large spoon, shape the salmon into salmon patties shapes.
12. Place your skillet over medium-high heat.
13. Preheat the oil for 3 minutes. Once hot, add 3 salmon patties at a time, and fry for 3 to 3-1/2 minutes per side. Flip them over using 2 spatulas or else you might burn yourself and that ain’t cool!!!! You will see them begin to brown on the edges when it’s time to flip them over.
14. Once done, place patties on a paper toweled plate to drain excess oil. Enjoy!
Check Out My Video Tutorial